follow me on twitter

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

File this under "We didn't know we were live!"

So, as you may or may not have heard, yesterday Eric Mangini was fired as head coach of the Cleveland Browns by team president Mike Holmgren.  And, it appears that ESPN analysts Hannah Storm and Adam Schefter couldn't be happier about.  Or it least appears that way. I'll let you watch the video and decide for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiGPNs80v88&feature=topvideos .  As you can see from the video, the two share a jovial moment, ending with a high five before quickly reminding viewers "that someone lost his job" and "families are affected."  I am wondering if there wasn't an office pool going on how long it would be before Mangini actually got fired.  I mean, to be honest, I am a Browns fan who was actually calling for Mangini to be fired for weeks.  So I have no problem with him being fired.  And I have read comments from other people who believe that ESPN "is biased against the Browns", and I would respectfully disagree on that point.  But the video does seem to call into question both Storm and Schefter's professionalism, don't you think?  Would they react the same way if the VP of Disney, ESPN's parent company and therefore their boss, was fired? On air?  Now that may be an extreme example, but I thought it was the media's job to report the news without bias or judgment, save opinion pieces.  So  what opinion are Schefter and Storm trying to convey there?  They didn't think Mangini was head coaching material in the first place? I don't think so, but this seems to me one of those "oops, we didn't know we were live" blunders that I thought ESPN was above.

No comments:

Post a Comment