follow me on twitter

Thursday, March 18, 2010

March Madness is here!

It's my favorite time of year: NCAA basketball tourney time, baby! The one time of year where every underdog has its chance. Just like me in the half mile at the state track meet in high school. Oh wait, its nothing like me in the high school state track meet. A 2 minute 10 second half mile would be pretty sweet about now but even now I don't think it would get me out of the district in Ohio's Division II District Track meet. That's okay though. I am a legend in my own mind. Kinda like Georgetown thought they were tonight vs. Ohio. You all see that? Ohio won by double digits! They were a nine seed in their own conference tournament! Unbelieveable!

In other games played today, it looks as if Duke screwed me again. I put them in the final four time and time again and they never seem to make it past the second round. I guess its a mental thing, also reminds me of trying to run the mile in under 5 minutes in high school. But hey I a had a heckuva coach. Mike Arends was the ultimate picture of what a track coach should be, yelling at me to run harder while at the same time holding a cigarette in one hand and a coffee cup in the other. Maybe that is what I need to become a high school track coach. But I digress. I can't believe Duke got knocked off by Arkansas Pine-Bluff! My bracket i am in at work is ruined! What's that you say? Duke doesn't play until tomorrow night at 9:30? Whew! That is a relief. Now I won't feel like an idiot when they eventually lose to my Buckeyes in the final. Yeah, yeah, I know, many of you are thinking that Ohio State has a hard road to even get to the sweet sixteen, but how many of you also had Georgetown playing Kansas in the elite eight? So, while OSU has some flaws in their game, even the Jayhawks, the number one overall seed, appeared to struggle for a half against Lehigh. Sounds more like a style of jeans that Lee would come out with than an actual university.

The first day seemed full of upsets, some of which I predicted, and others that again left me scratching my head. I joined all the other experts who called the Murray State upset of Vanderbilt. I must give props to ESPN's own Doug Gottlieb, whom I first heard that prediction from. I also correctly predicted Old Dominion beating Notre Dame, thanks again to the Big East for underacheiving this weekend. I did not have Ohio U, but that is a minor disappoinment as I would rather see OU vs Ohio State than have Georgetown go into the final four. No, my biggest loss today came when St. Marys beat Richmond, I had them playing Duke in the Elite Eight in what I still feel is the weakest fourth of the whole bracket. Just goes to show you that the Atlantic 10 once again may be another mid major who is not there yet. But you gotta love all the upsets that happened today. Reminds me of the ultimate underdog, Ohio State walk-on senior Mark Titus. If you haven't checked out his blog, you really should. It is clubtrillion.com. Pay special attention to the post from January 13, when he talks about reaching 2million hits. He has a video tribute of himself shot by him and his best friend, a guy named Keller. It is a great video, has to rank up there with the Rocky movie workout montages. You can check it out by clicking on this hyperlink:http://clubtrillion.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2010-01-18T13%3A50%3A00-05%3A00&max-results=2 . It's about halfway down the page, entitled Mark Titus-Mr. Rainmaker. Bonus points if you can guess who the song is by. That's all for now. Until next time. J-rod out.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting tweet posted by the Columbus Dispatch's Rob Oller this morning regarding tourney upsets:1st-round upsets worst thing for CFB playoff proponents. BCS leaders/bowl reps: "See, this crap could happen to us. Akron over Bama? Never" Then again, why are university presidents so eager to expand NCAA tourney to 96 teams? In a word: money. The basketball tourney should serve as an excellent example of how university presidents and chancellors can increase their revenue by scrapping the BCS for even a plus one playoff system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay the first time I tried to post the hyperlink to the "Mr. Rainmaker" video, it didn't work. It should work this time, so I invite you all to check it out. It is some pretty funny stuff and a really cool video.

    ReplyDelete