follow me on twitter

Friday, May 13, 2011

Overheard: Top Ten Excuses Jim Tressel gave To Gordon Gee about InkGate Coverup.

Everyone knows by now that Jim Tressel, head coach of football for The Ohio State University, has been accused of lying to both the school and the NCAA regarding his knowledge of his players' involvement in selling memorabilia to tattoo parlor owner Eddie Rife. 

We also know that Tressel's defense that he failed to forward this info to the proper authories because 'the emails were of a confidential nature' is flimsy at best, due to the fact that he sent them to another individual, namely, a close personal friend of Terrelle Pryor, Ohio State starting quarterback and one of the players involved in the inkgate scandal. 

What we don't know is what exactly went on during the hour or so interview that Ohio State University President E. Gordon Gee had with Coach Tressel after the news broke that the coach had prior knowledge of his players' transgressions.

So, without further ado, in the style of the David Letterman show, here are my top ten excuses Jim Tressel gave to Gordon Gee concerning the inkgate coverup:

10.  Let's be honest Gordon, I have to run one of the largest football programs in the nation 24/7, 365 days a year.  Do you really expect me to remember a couple of emails I get in the middle of Spring practices?

9. You'll be able to read about it all in my next self-help book entitled "The Winners Manual, Part II: Win By Any Means Necessary"

8. I didn't lie, I just said I couldn't remember specifics.  Technically speaking, there is a difference.

7. Everyone else is doing it.  Look at Bruce Pearl and Pete Carroll.


6. It depends on what the definition of the word 'violation' means, Gordon.

5. I was hoping that after the federal investigation was over, I could keep my new arm tattoo that was a reward for my silence: 'The Vest'

4.  Hey, I figured this federal investigation would drag on for a couple of years, and the media wouldn't get wind of it until it finally went to trial in 2013.  By that time Pryor, Posey, etc., would be in the NFL and all we would get is a slap on the wrist ala USC.

3.  Hey I believe a player should take responsibility for their own actions.  I asked Terrelle and DeVier and the others to come forward voluntarily.  They declined.  That was good enough for me.

2. How many tickets do you think we would have sold to the Sugar Bowl with Joe Bauserman at quarterback?  That's what I thought.

And, the number one reason I didn't tell anybody about the emails is....

I thought we had a team that could win the national championship, Gord! Hello???!!! Anyone there??!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment